How do Solar Panels work?
Unlike solar hot water, solar power panels work on light and not heat which seems to be a common misconception. Solar panels will actually become less efficient as it gets hotter.
During the day the photovoltaic cells (solar cells) absorb light and convert it to DC electricity. This electricity is then fed down to the Inverter that converts the electricity to 240v AC which is then usable by your home and the grid.
In Queensland the solar bonus scheme is ‘net metered’ which means that any electricity being used at home during the day is primarily taken from the solar power. Any extra electricity or energy that is being produced by the solar panels will automatically be fed down the power lines back to the grid. When you need more power than the solar panels are producing then it will take what it can from the solar and will take the extra electricity that is needed from the grid.
This process is fully automated and no battery storage is involved.
Provided you buy a good quality system such as those installed by GEM Energy Australia, solar power is completely safe and will include typically at least four isolators protecting your solar system and your electrical network. Poor quality components will fail over time and can cause fires. Unfortunately, minimum fire ratings were only introduced in July 2013 which means there are a lot of solar energy panels out there without the sufficient safety ratings.
On top of excellent energy productivity and the ability to withstand cyclones, solar panels also need to be proven safe. We need to remember that powerful amounts of electricity are being channeled through your solar PV system, so you want to be sure that your panels have been subject to stringent quality control procedures to ensure your safety and that of your home or business.
The Bloomberg New Energy Finance has created a Tier list of solar panel manufacturers to:
- differentiate proven and financially stable manufacturers in the solar industry, giving you peace of mind that your solar module supplier will be around in the future (this is often called “bankability”);
- differentiate manufacturers that own their own production capacity, meaning that they produce all product components themselves;
- differentiate manufacturers that use fully automated production processes, thereby reducing human error and achieving consistently high quality products.
(Source: Pike Research)
Warranty, Manufacturer and Product Safety Information
Questions to ask:
- Are the panels cyclone proof?
- Are the panels salt mist and ammonia corrosion warranted?
- Who provides warranty for the panels and where is the warranty held?
- What is the process for warranty replacements if you are not in business?
- Are there stringent quality control procedures in place?
- How long has the manufacturer been operating?
- Is the manufacturer “Tier 1” approved?
|Presence in Australia (Warranty & Service)||Country of Manufacture||Product Warranty||Performance Warranty||Temperature Co-efficient (The lower the better)||Junction Box IP rating (The higher the better)||Anti-PID as standard||Tier Ranking|
|Q CELLS||Yes||Germany, China, Malaysia, South Korea||12 years||25 years||-0.40%||IP67 or 68||Yes||1|
|SunPower||yes||Philippines||25 years||25 years, made up of 95/97% for first 5 years, −0.4/0.6%/yr. to year 25||-0.38%||IP65||Yes||1|
|Phono Solar||Yes||China||12 years||25 years||-0.41%||IP68||Yes||1|
|Canadian Solar||Yes||Canada, China, Vietnam||10 years||25 years||-0.41%||IP67||No||1|
|Trina||Yes||China||10 years||25 or 30 years||-0.39%||IP65 or 67||No||1|
|LG Solar||Yes||Korea plus various sites in Asia, North & South America and Europe||15 years||25 years||-0.38%||IP68||No||1|
|Risen Energy||Yes||China||12 years||25 years||-0.39%||IP67||No||1|
|Lightway||Yes||China||10 years||25 years||-0.39%||IP65||No||1|
|Tindo Solar||Yes||Australia||10 years||25 years||N/A||IP65 or 67||No||N/A|
|Jinko Solar||Yes||China, Malaysia, South Africa, Portugal||10 years||25 years||-0.40%||IP65||No||1|
|Solar World||No||Germany, USA||10 years||25 or 30 years||-0.41%||IP65||No||1|
|REC Solar||Yes||Norway, Singapore, USA||10 years||25 years||-0.40%||IP67||No||1|
Look No Further. Get Started Today.
What our customers say about us